Sunday, January 19, 2014

Unbelievably Blessed

I am unbelievably blessed-and so are you.  I learned many life lessons during my time in South Africa the past few weeks.  One of them was just how blessed I am.

For agriculture, especially here in Kansas we are blessed with fertile soil for which to grow our crops.   Where I live, we are able to produce crops very profitably without irrigation.   We also have the security that our crops will not be set on fire, nor our office broken into, or fences taken for steel to the point where we need armed security.  A farmer we met in South Africa has high powered electric fences (like we would see surrounding our prisons) and employs six armed workers just to patrol and safeguard his land.


American agriculturists are blessed.

I have a heated home with electricity, running water and a bed to sleep on.  However while in South Africa we walked through a shantytown where electricity was minimal, running water was hauled from local spouts, every house was surrounded by razor wire, community porta-potties were their toilets and 10-12 people slept in a space smaller than my room.


We that have a warm home, hot showers and a bed are blessed.

I have parents who have loved me unconditionally since I was born, sisters who are my greatest supports and a close extended family. While visiting Mrs. Sabina Khoza Fair Deal Training and Education Center, we learned that she has is now the adoptive mother to three orphans because HIV/AIDS claimed their parents' lives.  Eighteen percent of South Africa's population is HIV/AIDS positive.

I am blessed by the love of my family.

Mrs. Khoza shared this saying with us on the Sunday morning that we spent with her:

"When God blesses you, he blesses you abundantly."

My challenge for you: The next time you catch yourself complaining, look all around you, look at your life and thank God......thank him for how he has blessed you abundantly. 


No comments: