Thursday, August 27, 2015

Tennis Shoes in a Sea of Boots

As school commences, I reflect back on my freshman year of high school. Entering high school was a big step that came with major changes. When each new chapter of our lives begins, we are faced with many possible changes; it’s our choice what we make of them. The first change I faced as an incoming freshman was that of a new school with unfamiliar faces- a lot of them. Being a bit shorter than most, it made everything seem so much bigger than it really was. The second challenge I was faced was the actual school part. I had no idea what to expect with many of my classes. Among those classes was Intro to Ag Science. I had no idea what I was getting into taking that class. I wasn’t raised on a farm, knew very little about agriculture, and I was terrified to get out of my comfort zone. With a little nudging from a friend, I took the leap and joined FFA. Joining was the easy part; from there, I was faced with many other chances to either get involved, or remain in my beloved comfort zone. Not long after the year was underway, there was an invitational livestock judging event. I decided that if I was going, I was going to do well.  I practiced and prepared a little bit every night prior to the contest. When I finally got there after a very long bus ride, I was a bundle of nerves. I promptly decided that this was no place for a city girl wearing tennis shoes as I wandered through the sea of boots.  Regardless of how I felt, it was too late to give up, so I had to go through with it. I didn’t think I was going to do very well because I was so far outside of my comfort zone. Once the day was over the bus ride stretched on for what seemed like eternity; I was ready to be back at school and back in my comfort zone where I promised myself I would stay. About 15 minutes before we were back at the school, my advisor got the fateful email with the results enclosed. He glanced at the screen and began reading off the results. I only half listened because I didn’t expect to hear my name. Then I heard my name, and it caught my attention. Mr. Seuser repeated; “In 2nd place, Bailey Peterson.” My promise of staying in my comfort zone was completely forgotten. I was hooked on FFA.

This award reminds me what
stepping out of our comfort
zone can do for us. 
            Our comfort zones are where we reside for the greater part of our lives. If we never step out of our comfort zone, we are missing so many opportunities. If I hadn’t taken a risk and joined FFA, who knows where I would be right now? Or, if I hadn’t taken a risk and tried something new and strange to me, I never would have found my passion for FFA.  So many times we are presented with an opportunity, yet we chose to stay in the comforts of familiarity. Think of all of the things we could do when we leave our comfort zone behind. Sometimes it won’t work out perfectly, but you never know, sometimes it will. As we journey through this year, take those chances. Maybe try a new CDE, take a chance and grow our SAE, or talk to someone new at a Conference. Let’s step out of our comfort zone, embrace every opportunity, and see what we can accomplish as we dream outside the box.
            Here’s a little bit more about me:
1.     I love animals! I love cats, while at heart I’m a dog person. I have trained and competed with my dogs for close to 10 years now.
This is one of my dogs, Logan. 


2.     I enjoy Netflix watching, some of my favorite shows are Psych, The Office, and Parks and Recreation.
3.     I volunteered at my local zoo and rehab facility. I have some really awesome stories from my time at the zoo, so if you ever want to hear one just ask!
This is a baby bobcat I got to socialize at the zoo.

4.     I love the game Rumikub, which is basically numbers and puzzles put together. I’ll play anyone, several times. But I also love board games in general.

5.     I  love FFA! I couldn't get enough of it, so I have decided to become an ag. teacher and advisor in the future.


 Some of my favorite memories have been made while wearing the Blue Jacket.

No comments: